Ship Name

Wavertree

Type

full-rigged ship

Origins/Provenance

Southampton, England

Era

Age of Steam and Steel (1866-1920)

Year Launched

1885

Home Waters

New York

Function

Commercial

Displacement (tons)

2170

Length (feet)

279

Beam (feet)

40

Draft (feet)

24

Primary Propulsion

Wind/Sail

Hull

steel

Crew

24

Historical Note

Wavertree was built at Southhampton, England in 1885 for R.W. Leyland & Company of Liverpool, one of the last large sailing ships built of wrought iron. Today, she is the largest afloat. Wavertree was first employed to carry jute, used in making rope and burlap bags, between eastern India (now Bangladesh) and Scotland. When less then two years old she entered the tramp trades, taking cargoes anywhere in the world she could find them. After sailing for a quarter century, she limped into the Falkland Islands in December 1910, having been dismasted off Cape Horn. Rather then re-rigging her, her owners sold her for use as a floating warehouse at Punta Arenas, Chile. She was converted into a sand barge at Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1947, and acquired by the South Street Seaport Museum in 1968.

Related Institutions

South Street Seaport


Record ID: 195