Record ID: 54

Site Name

Richmond

Type

Inland Ports

Description

( 2000 pop. 197,790), (cap.) Va., separate from adjacent Henrico and Chesterfield cos., E Va., at head of navigation on James R.; 37�31'N 77�28'W. Port of entry and a financial, commercial, shipping, and distribution center, with a deepwater port. Major tobacco market. Trading post est. here in 1637. Fort Charles built in 1645. City laid out in 1737. Capital of Virginia in 1779, raided by Br. in 1781. During the Civil War, Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy and the constant objective of Federal forces. Much of the city was burned during the Confederate evacuation, April 3, 1865. Richmond Natl. Battlefield Park (and Cemetery) includes several of the battlefields to SE and NE.