Record ID: 137

Site Name

New Bern, North Carolina

Type

Seaport - American

Description

city (1990 pop. 17,363; 2000 pop. 23,128), (cap.) Craven co., E N.C., 40 mi/64 km SE of Greenville on Nuese R., at mouth of Treat R.; 35�07'N 77�04'W� Settled in 1710 by Swiss and German colonists under Baron Christopher de Graffenried and John Lawson, New Bern was the 2d town in N.C. and an early colonial capital; in 1774 it was the seat of the first provincial convention� In the Civil War the city was captured (March 1862) by Union forces under Gen. S. E. Burnside.