Record ID: 83

Site Name





borough (area: 33 sq miles; 1990 pop. 1,487,536), N.Y. city, SE N.Y., coextensive with N.Y. co.; 40�46'N 73�58'W. Composed chiefly of Manhattan Isl., and is bounded W by the Hudson R., S by N.Y. Bay, E by the East R., NE and N by the Harlem R. and Spuyten Duyvil Creek. Many bridges, tunnels, and ferries link it to the other boroughs and to N.J� Manhattan is the cultural and commercial heart of the city, and its dramatic skyline symbolizes N.Y. city around the world. It began as a Dutch colonial town built at the S tip of the isl. called New Amsterdam and served as capital of the colony of New Netherland during the Dutch period. In 1664 the English captured New Netherland and renamed it N.Y. The city line 1st extended beyond Manhattan Isl. when some Westchester co. towns were annexed in 1874. In the consolidation of 1898, Manhattan became 1 of the city�s 5 boroughs.