Record ID: 75

Site Name

Governors Island

Type

Islands

Description

in Upper N.Y. Bay, S of Manhattan Isl., SE N.Y.; covers 173 acres; 40�41'N 74�01'W. Bought from the Native Americans by the Dutch in 1637, it was the site of an early New Neth. settlement. The isl. received its name in 1698 (officially 1784), when the British set it aside as the colonial governors� residence. Historic landmarks include Fort Jay (completed c.1800) and Castle William (1811), a Civil War military prison. Governors Isl. served as a U.S. military base and was the East Coast hq. and training center of the U.S. Coast Guard. Military base was closed in 1998, and isl. has already been converted for some civilian uses.