Record ID: 46

Site Name

Cincinnati

Type

Inland Ports

Description

city ( 2000 pop. 331,285), (cap.) Hamilton co., extreme SW Ohio, on the Ohio R. opposite Newport and Covington (Ky.); 39�08'N 84�30'W. Near the mid-point of the Ohio R. and on the Mason-Dixon line. The 3d-largest city in the state, Cincinnati is the industrial, commercial, and cultural center for an extensive area including numerous suburbs in Ohio, Ky., and Ind. Port of entry with a large river front and good transportation facilities. Founded in 1788 as Losantiville; in 1790 Arthur St. Clair, the 1st governor of the Northwest Territory, renamed it Cincinnati for the Society of Cincinnati, a group of Revolutionary War officers. It was the 1st seat of the legislature of the Northwest Territory. After the opening of the Ohio and Erie Canal (c.1832), the city developed as a shipping point for farm prods. and meat.