Record ID: 125

Site Name

Baltimore

Type

Seaport - American

Description

city (1990 pop. 736,014; 2000 pop. 651,154), N Md., surrounded by but politically independent of Baltimore co., on the Patapsco R. estuary, an arm of Chesapeake Bay; 39�18'N 76�37'W. The largest city in the state, it was named after George Calvert, the 1st Lord Baltimore, the royal proprietor of Md., whose title came from his estates in Ireland. It is a port of entry, a commercial and industrial center, an important RR point, and a seaport with extensive anchorages and dock and storage facilities� The site was first surveyed in 1661, patented for settlement in 1691, and offically founded in 1729. The excellent harbor soon made Baltimore an important center for the shipping of tobacco and grain. Shipbuilding, an early industry, flourished during the Revolution and the War of 1812 with the fitting out of many privateers. The famous Baltimore clippers were built in the early 1800s. The nation�s wars have played a large role in the city�s history. When the British occupied Philadelphia in 1777, Baltimore became the meeting place of the Continental Congress� During the Civil War, Baltimore was strongly pro-Southern in sentiment; the 6th Mass. Regiment, passing through the city in April 1861, was attacked by a mob. In both World Wars, Baltimore was an important shipbuilding and supply-shipping center� The U.S.S. Constellation , a natl. historic shrine, is docked in Baltimore; it was the 1st U.S. Navy ship (1797) and is the oldest Navy ship still afloat. In 2001, Baltimore was the nation's 19th busiest port.